2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
LCM!

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by LCM! »

VolTheProducer wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 00:00 CEST
Ahh man, sucks to be disqualified on a technicality, but the rules were clear from the start - I'll be more careful next time! Either way, I enjoyed working on the track (Thanks @EatMe & @Mister Fox) and have learned a fair amount from the process. Good luck to everyone that makes it into the next round!
You (and I) are not OUT of the contest despite the disqualification chart. We could use a Wild Card in case the song provider allow us to go to the second round.
So I hope we will see each other there :wink:
Avneesh

Post by Avneesh »

hi everyone,
this was as exiting mix to work on, love to see how everyone have a different approach to a same track.
thanks @EatMe and @Mister Fox to providing such an opportunity,
and thanks @LCM! for your kind words.

I've heard most the mixes here really like everyones work,
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
I also loved your mix @Avneesh was so creative and unique amongst this group. I wonder did you or anyone else have any of this problem that the superwave part was somewhat related to the e-piano and so as the superwave flanges, it interferes with the e-piano? I had the two panned opposite sides and then was finding that if I go mono, both parts were nearly disappearing! in the end I took the top of the superwave and the bottom of the E-piano, kind of treated them as one instrument with the top part only processed. Still the superwave sound I found a tricky customer even after that.

In the end I think my mix ended up a bit oversaturated when the lead plays, it was a track which can easily become a bit congested in certain frequencies. Oh and that second bass part, that was so hard to know what to do with, I kind of wanted to cut the top of it because it just makes life easier, but then you lose a lot of energy/excitement.
Nice work everyone.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

...but really loved the music, great track @EatMe, I'm missing working on it every day.
Avneesh

Post by Avneesh »

Hi @scottfitz thanks !
for the piano and superwave part I've grouped the tracks into a single aux and processed as one part only, with a only a little cleanup on the individual tracks, haven't panned them at all, however they are they have chorus, stereo width, delays and reverbs on sends to add width,

For bass I agree the top end feels very important, can't do a high cut on it but on track "Track_02b_Synth1_bass2_alt-dry" I've used TDR Nova on highs,
Then again grouped both bass tracks together to process together.

I usually find tracks that are complementing each other and group them together in one single aux and process them as one single part. I feel it helps to glue the track better.

@scottfitz your mix was very dynamic, like your approach with the phasers

* I tried to add screenshots also but couldn't find how to, if anyone can help that would be great :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Embedding images is not available on this phpbb.

Please use the ImgBB service or your own server, and then the Image code (small button on WYSIWYG with the mountain and the sun).
EatMe

Post by EatMe »

Thanks, everybody, so far for making all the entries.
I have been listening to some great mixes entered.

So: Here we go!

A post full of adjustments to make for the Round 2 mixes,
for the candidates that made it,
excuse me for mentioning all the details.

Here they are..

------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2 candidates for Mix-Challenge MC088 October 2022, song: EatMe - Shift

in *alphabetical* order.

MC088__EatMe__Shift_Alexvanmixland
MC088__EatMe__Shift__Alanvaldez
MC088__EatMe__Shift__alavault
MC088__EatMe__Shift__andreybenassi
MC088__EatMe__Shift__Davias
MC088__EatMe__Shift__dewho
MC088__EatMe__Shift__Doobop
MC088_EatMe_ForumFromAtoZMix << missing track name "Shift"
MC088__EatMe__Shift__GGIBSON1988
MC088__EatMe__Shift__maxovrdrive
MC088__EatMe__Shift__MFTWC
MC088__EatMe__Shift_PistolPete
MC088_EatMe_-_Shift_rvalle
MC088__EatMe__Shift__studio_equator
MC088__EatMe__Shift__Zajus

-------------------------------------------------------------

All tracks have been listened to on monitor speakers, and headphones without bass boost.
The main commentary below is from listening on monitor speakers at mediocre and loud volume.
Extra notes from details listening on headphones are added.

Comments about each mix:

MC088__EatMe__Shift_Alexvanmixland
The track seems to have been limited, not too much, to good use.
The staccato synth tracks got exactly the desired pulsation.
I like the balance between all the tracks in the mix.
I especially like how the bass is treated and how good it still sounds when I turn up the bass and treble.
I am missing a bit of pulsation in the bass at some points (for example 169s, 193s).
Speaker listening: good
Headphone listening: good

MC088__EatMe__Shift__Alanvaldez
Very good work on gaining all tracks to a good level.
Love the subtle creative use of fx. Unique sound.
Kick drum is maybe too overpowering.
Missing the staccato strikes of track 1a 1b especially at 3:00 there is much
more present staccato note strikes in the original that make the harmony.
The loudness specs were not met. (-0.10 dB / -0.10 dB dBTP)
Speaker listening: The bass synth lacks mid/high tones and level perhaps. There is a little mid,
but no real tonality in the bass in its mid/high tones.
Headphone listening: There is a very noticeable undesired low rumble coming with the kick drum from 149 seconds in.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__alavault
Very good work on effecting and shifting some of the tracks.
Gainstaging at 100 (in) and 400 (out) seconds in quite step-wise, should be smooth(er).
Very nice sound overall, fix the gain stepping moments to smooth,
maybe a little less reverb wet mixed in which is now filling up silence in the groove between the staccato synths.
Speaker listening: apart from the step-wise gaining, good.
Headphone listening: The kick drum from the intro off sounds a little distorted in the lower bass.
The (first) kick drum also sounds noticably distorted in the later section with mausynth lead at 160 seconds and on.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__andreybenassi
At 64 and 72.5 seconds there is a very audible plop/click in the audio.
The mix is good and well balanced, and very creatively effected, the snare drum sounds really nice.
Very well treated tracks and gaining overall.
Speaker listening: good, but there is audio damage.
Headphone listening: good, but there is audio damage.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__Davias
The mix seems to have been limited, don't know if it makes it better.
The individual sound tracks have been well treated.
The snare drum maybe is a little too low in volume, and the finger snaps are not really hearable.
Some of the staccato synths are now not so staccato anymore, overall this mix still sounds good.
Headphone listening: Overall there is a bit too much mid mid in the (high) synth chords in the intro and overall sound color.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__dewho
Very good subtle creative effect use and perfect balance and rhythmic momentum.
I love the extra pronounciation added to the bass synthesizer.
The loudness specs were not met (-0.85 dB / -0.14 dB dBTP) by just a little.
The kick drum track seems to have some variation from the original, it sounds okay though.
The synth introduced at the transition after 253s maybe comes in a bit sudden in level when you listen on softer volume.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__Doobop
Very cleansed up and effected mix, very well done. Good work on effecting whilst keeping it to the original song.
I'm missing the open hihats levels and sections in comparision to the closed hihat level.
The closed hihat also sounds replaced.. (with a lossy low bit-rate sample? the hihat quality is less good).
The latest kick drum at the outro is too loud (on high volume).
Headphone listening: good, but the snare drum is mixed in too soft to hear.

MC088_EatMe_ForumFromAtoZMix
The track seems to have been limited, to good use.
There is a good movement going on in all sounds in this mix.
The track name Shift is missing from the filename.
The loudness specs were not met (-0.83 dB / -0.51 dB dBTP) (-12.7 LUFS).

MC088__EatMe__Shift__GGIBSON1988
Excellent mix. Very good work on the creative effect use and blending all sounds to a wonderful mix.
The ending (kick, cymbal) has introducing to it a quick step-wise, volume fade in suddenly.
Please level the ending down to the ends feel and make the transition in levels not so stepwise.
Headphone listening: The kick drum is missing the click in the mid and it sounds, together with the bass, a bit muffled.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__maxovrdrive
Very good work on creatively effecting the tracks just a little.
The balance of all the synth tracks in the mix is splendid.
The swing kept at around 360 seconds in the synth tracks is great.
Headphone listening: The ?distorted flanger? on the bass in the intro sounds a bit overdone.
The kick drum is a bit loud on headphones and peaks above the average level.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__MFTWC
There is a flanger on the hihat, with quite a fast rate, that replaced the good original sound of the hihat.
Maybe if the flanger on the hihat was more subtle in the track (more dry/less wet), maybe also better with a slow rate..
Good work on keeping all the synth strokes dynamic and the tracks sound balance.
Mausynth lead track is mixed in a little too loud, it overpowers the rest of the drums and synths in sound color and level.

MC088__EatMe__Shift_PistolPete
The track seems to have been limited, not too much, to good use.
The kick drum is missing at the part from 161 seconds off where it's really long without the kick drum.
The lower bass synth could have a little more pronouciation in the mid.
Headphone listening: good, but I'm missing a little impact on the snare drum on headphones,
the snare drum does not have an initial plop or louder strike moment on headphones.

MC088_EatMe_-_Shift_rvalle
Excellently done. Very good mix.
Maybe get the accent back on the 1 2 3 4 in the synth hits (superwave p8, e-piano) (from 142-244 seconds and after 342 seconds).
The track seems to have been limited.
Headphone listening: good, but I hear some undesirable tremolo effect in the instrumental last part.

MC088__EatMe__Shift__studio_equator
The track seems to have been limited, heavily.
I can almost not hear the some of the synth tracks in the mix.. But it's been to a good effect in some way.
The mix is good but really flat at low volume, maybe losing some dynamics.
The loudness specs have not been met (-8.10 dB / -8.36 dB dBTP) (-24.4 LUFS).
Headphone listening: The 2nd kick drum and and snare drum clash, the snare drums peak is lost in the kick drum.
(maybe this is the limiting, maybe the snare needs, in its short attack, a little more hi tones or other low tones)

MC088__EatMe__Shift__Zajus
The superwave p8 synth has lost a bit of its staccato groove.
The synth tracks do not have as much momentum as the original.
The intro (gainstaging) is beautiful.
The snare drum is too snappy in its attack time and needs a longer initial attack peak.
The snare drum almost sounds replaced with a 808 snare, losing the original snare drum noise color and length.
The snaps have been mixed in at a too low volume to really hear them (on speakers).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much, participants. Good luck for Round 2!
I hope you are able to adjust your mixes (some a bit, some a bit more) according to the comments.

For everybody that did not make it into Round 2..
Thank you very much for participating.
Your effort is well appreciated: the competition was good,
the Round 2 candidates did even better.

:whiteflag:

Yours,

EatMe
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 04-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @EatMe .

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Friday, 04-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

As of this moment, that is 5 days (plus the hours since @EatMe's announcement, and I've updated the post). All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@alanvaldez (Wild Card)
@alavault
@Alex Van mixland
@andreybenassi
@Davias
@dewho (Wild Card)
@doobop
@FromAtoZMix (Wild Card)
@ggibson1988
@maxovrdrive
@MFTWC
@PistolPete
@rvalle
@studio equator (Wild Card)
@zajus
 ! Bonus Info
Please read more about the "Wild Card" game mechanic here
Mix Challenge - Addendum: Statistic Sheet and Wild Card Mechanic

Info: 4 Wild Cards present for MC088 / October 2022. After talking about this behind the scenes, there was no alternative to have 15 participants otherwise.

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
Please see post #67

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
Ronson79

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 04-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Ronson79 »

Congratulations for those who made it into the second round. I still can´t get over the subjective nature of such contests but i work on it. Maybe it´s my ears or my taste which is totally off the place ...it is what it is. Wishing everybody a nice Sunday!
MFTWC

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 04-NOV-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by MFTWC »

Hello there and thank you for choosing my mix.

EatMe wrote:

There is a flanger on the hihat, with quite a fast rate, that replaced the good original sound of the hihat.
Maybe if the flanger on the hihat was more subtle in the track (more dry/less wet), maybe also better with a slow rate..
Good work on keeping all the synth strokes dynamic and the tracks sound balance.
Mausynth lead track is mixed in a little too loud, it overpowers the rest of the drums and synths in sound color and level.

Here is what i did.

I reduced to rate of the flanger on the open hihat by half and turned the mix more to the dry side.

I turned down the volume on the mausynth lead.

I turned back-on some filter and reverb automation that were deactivated in the first mix (at the end of the tune).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G0iPaw ... sp=sharing