2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
m_tree

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by m_tree »

Hoek wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 21:38 CET
scottfitz wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 20:17 CET
I found a good way to create stereo guitars from the one track. It roughly repeats the same stuff twice, so just double the early part with the later part and double the later part with the early part! It sounded so wide and just great like that. But I decided it would probably be breaking the mix challenge rules, so didn't do it. But one for the notebook.
Thats flat out genious!!!! :hail: never thought of that!
I've done that before and obviously the parts have to be similar for that. But also the track must be recorded on click with one tempo and really consistent and tight takes. And also in this case you could have to make some timing adjustments.

And it's also possible that they just did not want a doubled guitar in the verses. :hmmm:
Last edited by m_tree on Fri Dec 23, 2022 00:21 CET, edited 1 time in total.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by scottfitz »

I think the way Mr Fox is suggesting is the cleverest solution, it gives you some control of the sound. I also tried using Brainworks stereomaker but I think I binned the idea pretty early on, it sounded strange. In general stereo wideners and 'stereomakers' seem to be plugins that are best avoided if you want a professional sounding track. an exception is StageOne by Leapwing which is recommended by Warren Huart. Feel free to correct me if you have different knowledge.
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

My solution was a simple haas delay.

Yep, stereomakers and also special instrument-plugins (often named after famous mixers) are a nogo for a 'professional' sounding result, in my opinion, too.
In general I only use classic effects without MBC, auto-align and other 'genuine' things of the digital domain ...
PistolPete

Post by PistolPete »

I listened to almost all the submitted mixes and wow, there are some really incredible mixes. I enjoyed hearing how each engineer added their own personal touches and handled different song elements... well done everyone! As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't want to be the person deciding the top mixes as there are so many really really good ones this month.

I was excited this month to try out some of my new plugins I got on some amazing black friday discounts. I picked up Auto Align (where have you been all my life) as well as the Soundtoys entire plugin bundle (again I'm 20 years late on these..lol) and wow...So much fun! I can't wait until the next months contest already to try out more of them.

@misterFox On the topic of mastering, have you ever used each monthly winning mix in a monthly mastering competition before? I think it would be a fun concept of picking the winning mix, and that is the mastering competition song for the following month. Not sure if the song submitters would be down to commit that much time, but would be kind of fun. Just wanted to throw it out there as an idea.

Happy holidays to everyone!

Twas the weekend before Christmas, and all through the forum,
the mixes were submitted and the song provider had to sort them,

The headphones were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that Mister Foxs contests, continue next year,

With the mixes all balanced and bounced to a track,
Whew I made the deadline, now I can sit back and relax.

When out from the monitors, there arose such a clatter,
That has to be a phase issue, between the Overheads and the Clapper,

Away to my mix session, I hope the software don't crash,
ripped off all the plugins, and inspected those claps.

My LED mood lights shining with a nice psychedelic glow
Gave the luster of my teen years and the stories we dare not go,

When what do my curious tuned ears shall I hear,
It wasn't a phase issue in the claps, but the neighbors partying, opening beer.

LOL... Happy Holidays everyone!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 02:55 CET
The headphones were hung by the chimney with care
In hopes that Mister Foxs contests, continue next year,
Either reach out yourself, or get befriended songwriters involved -- then this might happen:
Follow the Song Pool Campaign
LnMStudio

Post by LnMStudio »

So everyone is explaining how they handle guitars, thought I'd jump in on an analog solution for those of you that have the means.
I did a traditional "re amping"
Guitar #1 Marshall DSL into a 4x12 80's cab. Used a 57 center and a Fathead II ribbon mic off to the side. I blended these through a Tascam M308B leaning more on the darker ribbon mic and doing opposite eq Cut/Boosts

Guitar #2 Don't laugh cuz I love this head in the studio for it clean gains. Bugera T-50 into the same mic cab combo but leaned more on the 57, think I left the EQ the same just changed the blending.

I then panned the guitars one left and one right but sent them into different reverb channels that where panned the opposite way of their source.

Lead guitar was an Orange Micro Terror into a Crush 2x12 cab and only the 57.

If we make round 2 I'll prolly add more compression to the guitar bus

I was personally happy with the sound and hope I did a good job and am not making an ass out of myself :)

Hope everyone has a GROOVY Holidays!!

Mike and Lisa
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

You guys did a superb job! That's the proper way to do it. I wish I had even one guitar amp or even a nice sounding room to record in. Sadly I gave away my fender twin and don't enjoy living circumstances that would allow for making much actual noise. I think for this track if I had all your gear I would have maybe tried reamping the bass and make a blend with the original bass amp track. Then possibly try to get some of your room sound on the rest of the track. If you have a regular "live room" that you will get a lot of use out of you might want to get some IR done of your space.

https://www.3d-varius.com/impulse-respo ... nstrument/

Then you could use a digital plugin to work some of your room sound onto the drums and vocal. Hopefully it ends up sounding like the band showed up at your studio. It's quite weird that nowadays your approach is not the obvious thing to do. I once asked someone how I should go about the drum recording I had to make for an album and he said to me "all the drums have already been recorded, why do you want to record some more?" Which I still find shocking but I went away and thought about it and I guess you have to accept that a lot of people do think like this now. So I went and got my real drums and made my old fashioned recording and in places it worked but you are then left competing in a world that has better sounding drums than you! Maybe in another life I will get to be Steve Albini and it can all be different.
Merry Xmas to all
LnMStudio

Post by LnMStudio »

scottfitz wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 17:03 CET
I think for this track if I had all your gear I would have maybe tried reamping the bass and make a blend with the original bass amp track. Then possibly try to get some of your room sound on the rest of the track. If you have a regular "live room" that you will get a lot of use out of you might want to get some IR done of your space.
So out of all of the gear I own a bass amp is not something I have anymore :( I used the Presounus Channel strip in place of it and then added a Fuzz type sound to the original DI track, was the best I had but now I may have to visit Sweetwater and do some bass amp shopping, shhhh don't tell Lisa

Thanks for your feedback and kindness, the world needs more of that.
Rawkinron

Post by Rawkinron »

Hey Everyone! As the song provider and mix engineer on INFERNO I just wanted to thank the people of Mix Challenge, the Sponsors and all of the contestants for having me here. We will have the results for you soon! Now the nail biting begins for you guys haha good luck!
LnMStudio

Post by LnMStudio »

Rawkinron wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 20:40 CET
Hey Everyone! As the song provider and mix engineer on INFERNO I just wanted to thank the people of Mix Challenge, the Sponsors and all of the contestants for having me here. We will have the results for you soon! Now the nail biting begins for you guys haha good luck!
Thank You and Win or Lose We had a great time!!