2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Arelem »

Mister Fox wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 02:34 CEST
Quick request for @Arelem.

You really set the bar high for everyone. Could you please post a screenshot of your guitar edits, and also mention where the samples/loops came from? Just out of curiosity - thanks.
I can probably get that done tomorrow as I am on my way to bed. For the slide guitar parts, if you're looking to see that they're all chopped up or something, I can tell you they aren't. They are time-stretched and pitched, with some crossfading so they loop a little better, as well as having some subtle distortion and cabinet effects added to them. With some EQ, transient shaping, and compression.

EDIT: I had a conversation with Mister Fox and rather than showing what they look like in the DAW, I decided to just post this link to the originals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
I feel like this way people can see for themselves and decide how that affects their perception of the track.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello,

I present to you a WIP version of my song this month.
I haven't had much time and that's why it's not finished yet.
It's not well mixed or has the right levels, yet.
I'm sending it to you so you can give me your opinion. :help:
Thanks

WIP1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FMFX5V ... sp=sharing

WIP2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L77MBX ... sp=sharing

Final track:

Equipment:
DAW:
Reason 12.6.1

Instruments:
Scenic Hybrid Instrument
ID8 Songwriter's Toolbox
Umpf Retro Beats
Malström Graintable Synthesizer
NN-XT Advanced Sampler
Europa Shapeshifting Synthesizer
Humana Vocal Ensemble
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer
Reason Electric Bass

Effects:
RV7000 MkII Advanced Reverb
The Echo
DDL-1 Digital Delay Line
CF-101 Chorus/Flanger
MClass Maximizer
MClass Compressor
MClass Equalizer
MClass Stereo Imager
Audiomatic Retro Transforme
Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Polar
Rotor Rotary Speaker
Channel EQ
Softube Guitar Amp
Pulveriser Demolition Unit
Scream 4 Sound Destruction Unit
Alligator Triple Filter Gate
Neptune Pitch Adjuster & Voice Synth
Sweeper Modulation Effect

Players:
Scales & Chords

Utilities:
Combinator 2
Mixer 14:2
Line Mixer 6:2
Spider Audio Merger & Splitter
RPG-8 Monophonic Arpeggiator

Reason Packs (Presets):
Cinematic Gamescapes

Reason Rack Extension:
A-List Guitarist Fingerpicking Nylon

Other instruments outside of Reason:
Native Instruments Kontakt

Other effects outside of Reason:

WAProduction Outlaw
AIR Music Tech Multi-Delay

Samples:
Black Octopus Sound Basement Freaks Spaghetti Western Psychedelia - 90 - Em - Tremolo Chords 02.wav

Other tools:
iZotope Ozone 9
Plugin Alliance SPL HawEye
HoRNet Plugins HoRNet VHS
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Mon Jul 24, 2023 23:26 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Here is my WIP for initial assessment
I have tried to create a classic Western theme with sections that can run together as a full track, or be easily looped individually as required
All guitars come from Steinberg Virtual Guitarist which I note is now over 16 years old but still sounds great - plus it has a Dobro in it which was ideal for this project!

Host
Cubase 12 Pro

VST
Drums - Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 - Nashville EZX
Additional percussion - Sampletank 4 Cinematic Percussion
Guitars - Steinberg Virtual Guitarist - Acoustic guitar, Dobro x2
Bass - ModoBass 2 - Upright Bass
Banjo, Trumpet, Strings - Halion Sonic
Harmonica, additional strings and additional brass - Sampletank 4

Fx
Host EQ throughout
TRackS Black 76, CamelPhat on the drum bus
Cubase guitar/bass amp sims on the guitars and bass
FabFilter Saturn for additional saturation
Valhalla VintageVerb x2 on sends (one ambience, one large space)
Ozone 10 on the master with TRackS metering and Voxengo Span keeping an eye on everything

I have used the following Freesound samples:
(whip crack) https://freesound.org/people/Timbre/sounds/483579/
(ricochet) https://freesound.org/people/Diboz/sounds/213925/
(gunshot) https://freesound.org/people/okieactor/sounds/415912/
(mouth harp) https://freesound.org/people/tramppa34/sounds/196987/

Yeehaw! :hihi:
Last edited by Doc Jon on Sun Jul 23, 2023 19:16 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies for the late reply...

:arrow_right: The devs wrote:
Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @EsteveCorbera

Thank you so much for this proposal. This is an interesting piece of work that could fit for an overall game ambience. We like it, even in this minimalist state. The whistling is a nice touch, although the choir feels a bit distracting at first. As long as there are no lyrics, we're okay with the general concept.

We're curious about the final product.

:arrow_right: Staff Commentary:

I really wish that you folks would already list, what instruments you've used. Not just "add it later", because you are short on time. I assume that you're also using samples for the guitars, which work surprisingly well here.

The distracting part is the whistling and the choir. They somehow don't "gel" with the rest of the production. As if they're not in the same space. And speaking of space, I've once more listened to small speakers and headphones. While the guitars have interesting placements, and the voice snippets move nicely in the room... the general "space" is missing... as in "depth", placement of the instruments through the help of EQ.

Your concept is really interesting so far. But it does indeed need some fine-tuning.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC071 July 2023 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @Doc Jon

Thank you so much for this proposal. Looks like you took the idea of "Spaghetti Western - but in space" to heart. Half the team was grinning from ear to ear after listening to that track.

This is not what we expected (truth be told - songwriting is not our strong suit, hence us reaching out), but it has that mischievous lighthearted tone we look for ever so often. We also really love the back and forth of fiddle, trumpet and harmonica, although the last third of the song feels a bit synthetic and distracting. Unless this is what you were going for.

We are not too sure on the used sound effects, as we'd like to add that ourselves in the game. However, we understand the concept that this is a "Soundtrack Proposal", and in-game can be different than an actual album version.

Great song - we're curious about the polished version.

I see, somebody was inspired by Ennio Morricone here, not just with the title. I am also sad to read no further documentation on the used instruments. i know that you can play the guitar, but I have a feeling that you've used samples for the guitars here as well. Unless I'm mistaken.

And while I like the overall concept, I mean... I hear a harmonica, trumpet, banjo, brushed snare, and a fiddle, ...I think you could be a bit more bold in terms of mixing. Everything sounds a bit mellowed out (at least on headphones, there is a better balance on 2" PC speakers, although here the guitars are sticking out too much).

Maybe do at least take a look at the lead instruments (fiddle, trumpet and harmonica) regarding EQ, and push their respective elements a bit more (clarity - and less synthesized sounding), maybe even add a slight bit more saturation (also see this Interactive Frequency Chart). The intro trumpet also suffers from a bit too much compression (as initial impression). The sound effects are... a matter of taste. I find them a bit loud (on headphones), maybe just pull them back 1dB to "nest them" a bit better.

I'm also curious how an Upright Bass would sound with this. But if you only have access to an E-Bass, then no worries :thinking:
The "sections" could definitely work to be looped (which is a thing these days with modern game audio engines).

One final note: check your filename (see filename template!).

I'm curious about the final version.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 06:12 CEST
Indie Developers wrote: We are not too sure on the used sound effects, as we'd like to add that ourselves in the game. However, we understand the concept that this is a "Soundtrack Proposal", and in-game can be different than an actual album version.
That is a very valid point - I will remove the sounds effects apart from those in the intro
I am also sad to read no further documentation on the used instruments
Many apologies, that is now rectified and I have updated my original post with all the info requested :tu:
All the guitars came from Steinberg Virtual Guitarist which just happens to have a Dobro in its library with some great slide phrasings which were ideal for this project (for the record I cannot play the guitar at all !!! :grin: )
One final note: check your filename (see filename template!).
Now sorted!

Many thanks for all the helpful feedback, the process of finalising the mix will continue with all your suggestions included - in particular the idea to use an upright bass is very good (and obvious in retrospect!) - I will see what I can do!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It is up to you if you leave the sound FX samples in the final song, but they do stand out a bit.

The Upright Bass was just a wild guess. I mean, since this was MODO Bass, A/B it, see where the road takes you. The E-Bass also works.

Also... shout out to old Steinberg Virtual Guitarist. I'm surprised you could still get this to run in Cubase 12. :thinking:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 4 entries -- all of them god "client feedback" already, but other than that, sadly no usual user interaction.

Please keep in mind: 21-JUL-2023 will mark the final day for "initial feedback by the clients" (I will respond by end of Saturday 22nd latest).

Other than that:

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 05:45 CEST

Indie Developers wrote: Hi there, @EsteveCorbera

Thank you so much for this proposal. This is an interesting piece of work that could fit for an overall game ambience. We like it, even in this minimalist state. The whistling is a nice touch, although the choir feels a bit distracting at first. As long as there are no lyrics, we're okay with the general concept.

We're curious about the final product.

I really wish that you folks would already list, what instruments you've used. Not just "add it later", because you are short on time. I assume that you're also using samples for the guitars, which work surprisingly well here.

The distracting part is the whistling and the choir. They somehow don't "gel" with the rest of the production. As if they're not in the same space. And speaking of space, I've once more listened to small speakers and headphones. While the guitars have interesting placements, and the voice snippets move nicely in the room... the general "space" is missing... as in "depth", placement of the instruments through the help of EQ.

Your concept is really interesting so far. But it does indeed need some fine-tuning.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments

I have updated the original post. I have uploaded another version of the song and added the instruments and samples used.
I only used one external sample: the guitars that play at the same time as the vocals.
The rest are Reason sounds

Thanks
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Just some quick feedback:
Feels definitely better - but on fourth and fifth listen (at this point), check your Etherial Pad. Not only the chord harmony, but also the volume or rather frequency spectrum. They easily overpower things (small speakers especially).

Keep in mind - I am now speaking form my (staff) perspective, not the client. If you think the production is fine, it is fine.

:arrow_right: Including today, 6 more days, everyone.
So far we have 4 entries.