2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by cpsmusic »

Mister Fox wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 06:23 CET
I can not speak for @Jorgeelalto, but I can at least talk about this particular screenshot.

This is but an example of a tool you could use. While testing the multi-tracks myself, kHs Ring Mod was the first Ring Modulator I reached for, did some experiments and got close(r) to the sound of the initial multi-tracks I got to take a look at (which had the Ring Modulation "printed"). Jorgeelalto used what was built into FL studio.

I would say: please use whatever you think gets the the required "distorted sound". Be creative.
Maybe your approach is different, which works better for the final mix.
It would be helpful if we had access to the printed track. The ride is pretty low in the original mix.
kombainera

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by kombainera »

OK Thanks @Mister Fox and @Christoph_K for the reply I will keep it in mind. @cpsmusic i did my version on the ride with decapitator and freq freak from soundtoys for the lfo but u can do the same with every dist plugin plus eq with peak and some automatizations.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your mix.

So far, we have 4 entries (compared to 63 Mix Pack downloads so far).
Please take note of the "TL;DR Rules.txt" file as part of the Mix Pack. And please do pay attention to detail (especially the Filename Template).

Sidenote:
I fixed the Global Countdown timer. Something caused a hiccup, resulting in it not working properly. Apologies for the inconvenience.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hi everyone! Here's my Take.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MjQxJp ... sp=sharing

My approach to this mix is kinda "industrial", making different spaces for the different elements.
Basically I added a bunch of auxiliar reverbs (2 shorts, 2 longs) and delays. Then adjusted to taste.
Even I added a short reverb in the Kick, which have changed quite a lot.

The Basics of compression, saturation, etc.. are quite present in the drums. I added resonant filters to the Kick, and for example I monoed' the snare roll and made some more trickery with the bunch of hi-hat tracks, one of them needs a hard deessing at 9khz.

I tried to distort the ride but it works quite well with some reverb and eq!

Also I sidechained a bunch of the tracks that where getting on the way of the Kick, but not to drastically

In case of the narrative of the song, I made some choices of preference with "sound design" and sidechain, you can hear before the drop that the protagonist element is "memo reez", and also I made the "Reece atmos" scream like some kinda beast. :lol:

Following with the dynamics of the song, I made some eq filtering here and there somehow like the original mix, making crescendos and drops more effective.

Also in the speech part, I put the reverb in the kick full wet, again, for adding dynamism.

The sequencer tracks are worked individually and in a group, accentuating and changing the stereo field to taste in each one.

In the mix bus, Sweet Spot EQ, Kelvin saturator, Unisum compression and a little limiting.

Finally, I worked on little details here and there that give more personality to the mix, I you want to Know more, I'll be happy to share.

Well, I Think that's all, I hope you enjoy it and good luck! (Sorry for the bad english).
mix.altmsh

Post by mix.altmsh »

Hi, Hope you are doing Marvelously well. :grin: :grin:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzDY2R ... sp=sharing

My approach to this mix is to make the Kick and the bass element kind of static, and to use the other elements in the mix to expand in terms of Stereo field , dynamics and what not.

My approach is mostly Top Down, where i get a super crushed sound on the mix bus/master bus and then work my way to the indiviual element to get the balance of the various elements right, for plugins I used Kclip on the Master bus to chop off the peaks, I used a guitar amp on the sequencer tracks to get the grunge and also to get some stereo action out of them.....

For Space on the tracks only one AUX with a hint of reverb is feeded into a delay,

Every element is super crushed right out of gate, but on the mix bus using a compressor with slower attack time, and faster release, some of the punch is retained.......Although the Track is around -8 or -6 LUFS, I have Normalized it to around -18 LUFS to adhere to the guidelines of the contest. The LUFS should not be matter as the track are going to get normalized around a base value to better the chance of everyone having a FAIR shot
Last edited by mix.altmsh on Sat Feb 10, 2024 09:54 CET, edited 1 time in total.
::::::Mixing For Fun::::::
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

WTF are you doing @mix.altmsh ?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC096 February 2024 - Submissions until 21-FEB-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Stepping in for a moment here, as I got a post report related to post #025.

First and foremost:
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
I downloaded both of your entries already, @PauPeu and @mix.altmsh.

Please keep the Rule Book in mind, no re-uploads, your entry is final.

Changing your post on the other hand, will be a topic of this post.

I was informed, that @mix.altmsh 1:1 copied the post from @PauPeu, and apparently also copied the entry. I can not comment on that particular part (as I'm not familiar with certain fine details of the edit by @PauPeu). I can however confirm, that both entries are different in terms of dynamic range, loudness and maximum signal strength. The entry by @mix.altmsh also sounds significantly "thinner" and more compressed.

Entry by PauPeu (downloaded on 09-FEB-2024 21:30 UTC+1/CET)

Entry by mix.altmsh (downloaded on 09-FEB-2024 21:30 UTC+1/CET)

Images will be auto-deleted in 2 months.

What I absolutely do not understand, and this seems to be a recurring issue on the forum, is that some users sometimes "use the filename template from a previous post" (and if that is wrong, your entry is technically wrong). Or in this case, copy the post 1:1 and only replacing the link.

I reached out to @mix.altmsh behind the scenes and asked for an explanation as to what happened. I allow this user to edit the post -- but a reupload of the entry is not allowed, as your submission is final. (also see one time reminder in post #003)

Please pay attention to detail.

EDIT 10-FEB-2024 10:30 UTC+1 / CET:
The upper mentioned topic has been sorted out for time being. The entries are not the same, and I was informed that the copy/paste of text will not happen again in future games. Thank you reading.

:arrow_right: As of this moment, there are 12 days left to submit your mix.

The multi-tracks have been downloaded 70 times.
We have 6 entries so far, and I already have all of them on my HDD.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
I love to see another track from Jorgeelalto! Thanks very much to him and Mister Fox for hosting.

Here's the link to my entry:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/162xeoc ... sp=sharing

I spent the most time on the kick sound as it’s the primary element and needed the most processing. Outside of that I used some reverbs and delay but most of the tracks were left untouched and simply balanced/automated at times. Here was the chain used for the kick

kick

EQ adding a 10db low shelf
Knock - 1/3 punch, 1/4 saturation, 1/2 sub, 0 air, 0 clip
FireCobra - 60% wet with max intensify, 3/4 analogize, 0 smack
Fabfilter C2 - fast attack, fast release - used to shape the tone
SEQ - around +9dB transient boost around 90Hz, +5dB tone boost again around 90Hz

kick reverb
EQ
shaperbox - sidechain volume shaping 22% wet

Both of these to

Kick bus
Distressor - slow attack, fairly fast release
Spicerack - 57% wet with 47% drive and slight brightening
Big Clipper - clipping a fair bit
EQ (for the EQ sweep around 3:40 - I got this idea from the mix given)

then sent to parallel kick channel
1176 all buttons in mode

Cheers all and good luck and as always I'm happy to give more info if anyone would like more.
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hello,

first of all, thanks to @Jorgeelalto for this nice track. I had a lot of fun while mixing.

Main focus was to get a well balanced mix with a nice bottom end and controlled high end, so the "most important" part for me was to tame the hats and extra tops with transient designer or deesser. I also used the A1Stereo Control on some tracks to build a solid sound stage.

The main bass and the reece hits were side chained to the kick to make some room.

I used the SSL G bus and the bx digital v3 on the stereo output for a little final touch.

I included some snapshots if you want to take a closer look:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Happy Mixing!
onecake2

Post by onecake2 »

Hi everybody,

I want to thanks @Mister Fox and @Jorgeelalto for the opportunity to mix this very well produced song. Very nice groove!

My aim with these challenges is to become a self-sufficient mixer and since I am a very unskilled one, my approach is to do less arm as possible and go basic.

My vision for this mix was a rock solid kick/bass/sequencers backbone and the use of the remaining elements as embellishment.

I have grouped together the main kick and the tail, then a very gentle 1176 and a transient shaper to give more attack.
On unpitched percussive elements I have reached for delays, as a general rule. Valhalla one.
Basses with la2a gray.
Sequencers EQ, mainly focusing on the low mids and hi-mids, alternatively.
Master: multiband comp to smooth out followed by EQ +1db at 50h and +2db around 4k

my mix https://1drv.ms/u/c/adda73155652c90c/Ec ... Q?e=lKwk5h