2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Post by FixInTheMix »

Wow! :hyper: I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought BenjiRage had it in the bag. To be fair, I think any of those on the podium could be first in my books. This was a lot of fun; I think it's not a secret that I love this genre.

Thank you all for your kind words and feedback. I've already added reverb to the drums in my latest mix, and it's a definitive improvement.

The overall quality of this month's submissions was great, among the best that I remember.

Again, congratulations to @BenjiRage and @VCA-089 for the podium, and to all of us for participating.

As for choosing the license, I'll pick MODO Bass 2. Hopefully, I could use the new double bass for this month's challenge :grin:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

BenjiRage wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 09:49 CEST
Thank you everyone for your invaluable feedback. I have to admit it was a little disheartening to be overlooked by Arelem (I don't know whether this was intentional, but I know you're not the biggest fan of the 80s sound! :lol:); nevertheless @FixInTheMix you are a very worthy winner and your submission was the better musical composition for sure so it is well deserved, congratulations! Congrats also to @VCA-089 for making the podium for your excellent composition. I feel honoured to be alongside you both.

I'll pass on choosing a plugin, it doesn't feel deserved somehow as I still feel like I need to do better. Honestly the feedback from you all has been so gratefully received, the positive points and love you've shown for the track have been a big boost to me this month, I really appreciate it. It's clear also that I need to learn to better develop my melodies, be less repetitive and try and reduce my song length so these are great points you've given me to take away and apply to the next one, thank you.

Hopefully see you all in the next challenge! :phones:
I'm not sure how I managed to miss your entry; sorry about that. I listened through my phone (sounded good there) but I'll give it a proper listen when I get home.
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Arelem wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 17:42 CEST
I'm not sure how I managed to miss your entry; sorry about that. I listened through my phone (sounded good there) but I'll give it a proper listen when I get home.
Ah don't worry about it, I'm just glad to know it wasn't intentional and it did provide some pretty cool jeopardy and excitement to the final result :smile:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

@BenjiRage So I gave your track a proper listen, and despite my 'dislike' for the 80's (lol) it's a really solid track. I don't actually dislike the 80's, I just don't like when it's a recreation of that sound. Like when an artist does a 1 to 1 cover of a song. If you aren't going to add anything new, then why do it? The original still exists and I'd rather listen to that. The same is true (for me) when it comes to retro music.
With that said, the drums are really well done and I like all the little extras and foley thrown in the background. I do wish there was something more that distinguished it from a standard '80's track' however, the melodies and sound selection are good and fit the genre well. I'm not sure where you would have fallen, but you probably would have made my top 5 if I hadn't missed your entry (again, sorry).

-Arelem
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC079 March 2024 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

The license for @FixInTheMix has been handled, @BenjiRage decided to pass on one of the offered tools, @VCA-089 can still select something from what is left in the pool.
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

Congratulations to the winners! What a high quality podium indeed!! :hail:
Hope to see you all in the next one :tu:
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by BenjiRage »

Arelem wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 00:54 CEST
@BenjiRage So I gave your track a proper listen, and despite my 'dislike' for the 80's (lol) it's a really solid track. I don't actually dislike the 80's, I just don't like when it's a recreation of that sound. Like when an artist does a 1 to 1 cover of a song. If you aren't going to add anything new, then why do it? The original still exists and I'd rather listen to that. The same is true (for me) when it comes to retro music.
With that said, the drums are really well done and I like all the little extras and foley thrown in the background. I do wish there was something more that distinguished it from a standard '80's track' however, the melodies and sound selection are good and fit the genre well. I'm not sure where you would have fallen, but you probably would have made my top 5 if I hadn't missed your entry (again, sorry).

-Arelem
Many thanks for having a listen, I really appreciate the feedback and no worries at all 😊
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

Congrats to @FixInTheMix and @BenjiRage!

I'll pass the prize selection...
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Congratulations to the podium finishers and to everyone who participated in the competition. :clap: Keep up the good work.