2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay, this is where I step in as host and "Keeper of the Code" (the Rule Book)

TSTstudio wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 08:18 CEST
Hi sorry my english is not the best, but yes I use a trigger to get the sound I wanted on the snare, I could not do that?
I will change it back to brusches and reupload it

:information_source: I kindly ask you to re-read the following: If you have trouble understanding / interpreting, please utilize a service like Deepl.

There is no excuse of "I didn't know this".
By joining any game on the Mix Challenge audio community, you agreed to the given terms and rules.

:information_source: I've caught you breaking three rules now:
  1. you didn't use the provided filename template, and actually changed the filename before you read my PM about this where I actually allowed this "just this once". In fact, you also ignored my PM with Mix Challenge 092 / June 2023
  2. you used Drum Sample Replacement, despite multiple versions of the rules clearly stating "no drum sample triggering / replacement" (which will result in instant disqualification)
  3. you assumed you are allowed to re-upload you entry (which you did on 05-APR-2024 08:30 and changed at 10:30) - you are mistaken. Your entry is final! (this also results in instant disqualification)

:arrow_right: I am sorry, but your entry is now fully tagged "OUT" (no chance to advance with the help of a Wild Card).

Please consider this to be an important learning experience.
There is only so much leeway I can give to users -- and this will end now.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
:arrow_right: A final heads up:

To all new users, and those that haven't joined in more than two years, please get acquainted with the official Rules and Guidelines.

Bar minimum, consult each Mix Pack bundled TL;DR Rules.txt

Make sure that your entry is in order and within given parameters prior to submitting to MC097. Your entry is final! There are no changes allowed, unless you are selected for Mix Round 2.

Have fun, and good luck, everyone. :educate:
TSTstudio

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TSTstudio »

This was only practice for me, delete it and I'm fine,
I'm 75 years old and do not see so well and I have a problem reading a whole book of rules anyway
Good luck
BenjiRage
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by BenjiRage »

Hi everyone

It's great to be back participating in the challenges this month. @A Future in Noise, thank you for doing the honours and keeping the challenge alive. The song is a fantastic arrangement and when everything is put together it truly comes alive with a 70s vibe, so this is the sound I aimed for - I used some Carly Simon tracks as a base reference and went from there.

I've tried to keep things quite subdued, not a lot of compression, careful with EQ'ing so the bass doesn't get overpowering and it doesn't get too bright, with lots of dark plate reverbs and subtle delays to try and emulate the era.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y6FAwL ... sp=sharing

Here are my production notes:
► Show Spoiler
All the best

Benji
UHLS

Post by UHLS »

hello and thank you for the opportunity to mix this beautiful song. i didn't use any special tricks - just automated the vocals and some of the other instruments. since the song is on the peaceful side, i used relatively little compression to preserve the existing microdynamics of instrumentalists. unfortunately, the main vocals, and especially the backing vocals of the main singer are quite noisy. so all other tracks are subordinate to the main vocal, because of the noise levels.
in any case, i enjoyed mixing the song, knowing that a different selection of instruments in different sections could support the song even better, such as other drums in the chorus. this would allow another mixing options, such a more overdrive on guitar, and another posibilities.
but i like the song on that way too.
plugins used:
e-gtr di: bias amp 66 british tb30
solo gtr di: bias amp british plexi 50w
delays: 3 x waves super tap
reverbs: 3 x waves h reverb
eqs: waves f6, noise ash rule tec, kuassa eve at-1
comps: waves dbx 160, kush audio ar-1

my mix:
https://workupload.com/file/p88nmBn7Rxr
benammi

MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__benammi

Post by benammi »

Hi this is my mix :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N7CeKR ... sp=sharing

As I mix this rock anthem, I blend the electric guitar's raw power with the ethereal beauty of feminine vocals. The electric piano, bass, and acoustic drums form a dynamic foundation. Careful balancing ensures each element shines. I sculpt the vocals to draw listeners in. The bassline anchors the groove, while the acoustic drums add warmth. Panning and effects create depth and movement. Every adjustment captures the song's emotional intensity. The final mix embodies the spirit of the original performance, a testament to music's power.
yoruhitp

Post by yoruhitp »

It's been a really long time since I participated in a contest.
How is everyone doing?

Please download the sound source I mixed from the URL below.
https://tinyurl.com/22g25uhw

Well, this song is a very good song that reminds me of my favorite ABBA.
The vocals are very nice, like Anni-Frid Lyngstad.
So, I decided to mix this song with the atmosphere of "Fernando" and "I have a dream" as a reference.

Since this song is both aggressive and silent, noise is the enemy, so we removed noise from each track.
We did it thoroughly.
Acoustic guitar pick noise, electric guitar line signal de-hum, vocal and chorus mouse noise, headphone bleeding, etc.

Each track has a saturator inserted at the beginning that emulates the OLD Neve mixing console.
Basic sound creation was done with bx_Focusrite.

In order to support the bass part of the song with the bass guitar, I set the kick signal below 100hz to be reduced by 6db using the bass guitar's side-chain input.

The drum snare didn't have enough attack, so I duplicated the snare track and added a high pitch snare-like attack sound through Metric halo's MH Thump.

The electric guitar was reamped. The rhythm guitar is an Orange cabinet emulation, and the guitar solo is a Vox cabinet emulation.

For the Wurlitzer, the line sound was too raw, so I used an emulation of Blue line 65 cabinets to create the feel of a Wurlitzer 210 recorded with a microphone.
Additionally, I used the BOSS CE-1 Chorus plug-in.

For the vocals, I used the IR reverb plug-in to add only ER and passed it through the plate reverb plug-in.

For the trumpet and strings, I added reverb using IR from Japan's ONKYIO Haus studio.
I accept any mixing opportunities.
Mysite: https://www.umasan.org
MartialFromentin

Post by MartialFromentin »

Hello there!

Nice song and very nice voice!

I used an Helios channel strip (preamp + Eq) on every track to get a vintage vibe. I love the Helios germanium preamp, the Eq is not the most versatile but it sounds good and it forces to make choices. The mixing approach is quite simple:

- kick (both tracks): dbx160, Helios CS
- snare: transient shaper, Helios CS
- toms: dbx160, Helios CS
- hihat and cymbals: Helios CS
- bass: Helios CS, Distressor
- acoustic guitars: LA2A, Helios CS
- electric guitars (DI and amp together): LA2A, Helios CS
- wurlitzer: chorus, opto comp, Helios CS
- strings: Helios CS
- trumpets: opto comp, Helios CS, Saturation Knob
- lead vox: Silk Vocal, Helios CS, serial comps, Fresh Air, tube saturation, limiter
- backing vox: Silk Vocal, Helios CS, comp, limiter

- 1 reverb for drums
- 1 reverb for some instruments (acoustic guitars, wurlitzer)
- 1 reverb for the lead vox
- 1 long reverb (strings, trumpets, vox wail and choir)
All the reverbs are subtle and filtered (HPF and LPF), there's an automation to send the lead vox to the long reverb, just before the guitar solo.

There are also 2 parallel comp buses :
- NYC comp bus (drums): Eq, 1176
- Rear bus (bass, instruments, vocals, reverbs): dual mono comp

- Mix bus: SSL bus comp, tape saturation

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1237Olh ... drive_link

Good luck everyone!
zed999

Post by zed999 »

Many thanks to Future in Noise and Mr Fox for the opportunity to mix this beautiful well arranged, well recorded song.

In the circumstances, rather than listing vst plugins and specific technical talk (the "how") I thought I'd stick mostly to the "why" I hope that's ok. Whether I got anywhere towards succeeding in my intentions on my mix is another matter. :hihi:

Because it was so well arranged and recorded I felt a new freedom to concentrate on trying to respect but magnify the arrangement with automation, widening, panning, reverbs...There was a certain amount of production and arrangement (and great performance) baked into the tracks which I let lead me (there were reverbs, echos on some tracks for example).

I gave the supplied master a quick listen but after that I didn't reference it again or anything else.

I wanted an open mix with space for everything including "space" - faders up it's a busy flat mix. My general philosophy was to have the main players spread but comparatively central with drums bass and main vocal right in the centre then clear everything else out the centre stage.
Pairs of instruments that were playing off each other were panned on opposite sides to create interest and movement then sometimes exaggerated with automation.
I used a lot of mid/side and width vsts (all free ones) for example on the stereo strings track I used 2x width maximisers, then completely cut out the mids leaving just the sides, then I added a reverb send so that the only part of the strings between the speakers is reverb.

I tried to make the chorus parts wider and fuller. That's where the widened, panned tracks are mostly and they also have reverb. To help make space for that reverb I used the clean guitar track with a clean amp sim and used the supplied processed one in the verses and towards the end of the song. Every little helps?
I didn't use any echoes but my mix has plenty of atmosphere reverbs. I used a ducked Bricasti (long room) IR on the main vocals, another the same but not ducked on all the other vocals and choir vocals. For everything else I used VSTs of Quantex room and "Evolution" Reverbs mixed up depending of how far back I wanted things. The Bricasti kind of leaves the source where it is, the Quantex Evolution is good for taking it's source back with it

Ha-Ha, I know that all sounds pretentious, I do know that, but trying to home in on and bring out the intended emotions of a song is the job right? Ask any pro mixer (not me!) and they'll say song, arrangement, performance, production - when you have all those you can have fun instead of fixing things.
@Mister Fox - is this sufficient? I can detail the mechanics more if necessary

Here it is anyway. :smile:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ubjg62d4 ... 8so5w&dl=0

Edit: I thought I'd just do it to be safe and possible interest, I thought about it and I enjoy listening to the uploaded mixes while reading the details so here it is:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by zed999 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 20:00 CEST, edited 5 times in total.
doobop

Post by doobop »

Hi everybody!

I always start with a rough mix to get the feeling of the song and evaluate the raw tracks.

Then I started the mix and I used a lot of EQ, compressors and FX.
I didn’t use delays on Vocals as it is heard on the master, I liked better the feeling of natural space for this particular song so I only used Reverbs.
My goal was for every instrument to be heard but with perspective what is important and what is coming as a fulfilment of the arrangement.

Have a listen and tell me your thoughts!

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9cthqq09 ... qumg9&dl=0

Bye,
Doobop
Rockincher

Post by Rockincher »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BDwwsQ ... sp=sharing

(text translated from French with Google translate)

Hello everyone,

This is my first participation in the Mix Challenge. I work on Studio One with a harmonic multibus processing chain based on Mickael Brauer's technique.

I start by cleaning up my sources with subtractive EQ and clipping compression (if necessary). I then send them into subgroups to apply a channel strip and a more typical compression according to needs, and other ameliorative treatments. I then send my subgroups to their respective groups to provide final processing such as preamp emulation and compressors which provide harmonics. These groups go into a summing slice on which I apply a tape magneto emulation which I send to my main slice on which I pass through an SSL type compressor, a magneto emulator and various other treatments in order to obtain the levels recommended by the specifications (-16db LUFS and -1db TP, in this case).

I mixed following the song's supplier's guidelines, trying to give a more natural sound to the drums, keep all the sounds present enough to be audible and have a better balance between the Rhode and the guitar on the intro. Finally, I wanted the whole thing to remain in a vintage atmosphere to stay in the spirit of the piece.

Thank you for this initiative which makes you want to surpass yourself.

Here is a short video to present my session (in French) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKQChsPj4E