2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Kevin_Schulz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Kevin_Schulz »

Hi ho. As a new MC member first of all i would like to say hello;-). The following link leads you to my mix. Not 100% but it gets u an idea :educate:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DsxAER ... sp=sharing

i mixed it complete in the box. My quest was not to over process the mix. All my plug ins working smooth. i spent most of the time using clip gain and automations. gentle compression on the master bus beside 2 EQs, one for mid, the other for side processing.
Its hard to write all the mixing steps here in detail. if its helpful i can do a deconstruction video of the my mix. :phones:

My main tools are:

- logic X (channel EQ, compressor, metering)
- Melda Production (m-comp, turbro comp and turbo EQ)
- Ozone (elements 9)
- tc electronic (brickwall limiter)
- fab filter (vulcano3)

Thank u for the opportunity to work on a nice song. :smile:
kombainera

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by kombainera »

Hi there my entry: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17yihOx ... sp=sharing

First of all thanks to all involved as usual. My goal this time was just to make balanced mix. I use some Abba's songs to refresh my ears from time to time because that was the first that came to my mind when i linsten the song for the first time.

There was not so much processing going little compression here and there mostly with stock pro tools compressor,trident eq on most tracks but again not much. On the bass little tunning cose on the attack of some notes it was a bit to far from the right pitch for my tаste but again very very gently.Then blend with the good old sans amp and fab mb to even him a bit.Some basic eq on guitars the drive one with the fxs was hard to blend with the rest of the mix at least for me.On vocals gate to remove some noises here and there eq,comp then a bit blend with soote 2.The choir part was hard for me at least to fit in the mix may be need some more work. The rest is all revurbs and delays.Chamber for the drums, one for the most instruments and for the vocals slap back, hall and short one.On the master bus ssl comp 1 db for glue and color and vintage warmer again 1 db for color and drive.
Beebo1970

Post by Beebo1970 »

This is my submission link for Mc097 mixing challenge the link is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACJKNA ... share_link.

Thanks for the opportunity to show my skills in mixing on your format.
first and foremost with any mix I approach, I use the same standards: I try to take the muddiness out of the mix, by using a 7 band Eq just concentrating
on my low-pass and high pass filters, gain stage all my loops to -6 Dbs, I organize my loops by drums,Acc-Gtr, E.Gtr, cello etc and put them in subgroups, to be able to have control over each individual loop. I put a master fader up with the inserts of Bluecat Freq and the stereo tool to measure my stereo and mono, pan my aux tracks, I utilize comp on kicks and snares, I use reverb and delay on my vocals , I use the bf-76 for British and ny mode, I utilize gates
I did my mixing on Protools Ultimate
Vmr rack for my mix bus
TSTstudio

Post by TSTstudio »

Great song here is my take on it :)
I'm using Harrison Mixbus 32c v9
and mostly free plugins like Leveling Tools, RughRider, TDL Kotelnikow, PreBox, Little Plate, and EchoBoy Jr
and the built EQ and Compressors on Mixbus 32c

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X3xm43 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by TSTstudio on Fri Apr 05, 2024 08:31 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC097 April 2024 - Submissions until 21-APR-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
And once more do we have entries that completely ignore the provided filename template, which are mentioned

The Filename Template to use is:

Code: Select all

MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__ForumUsername.wav

example:
MC097__Bellener_and_Friends__Get_A_Grip__Mister_Fox.wav

I have two entries on my so far, that do not adhere to this, and would result in "tagged disqualified" at the end of Mix Round 1.
Please pay attention to detail! And please also provide suitable documentation.

There will be no more reminders given.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hello! In this occasion I tried to give back some analog warmth and "mellowness" to the song. Giving the voice the main leadership and taming the harshness of some high elements.

Here's my take: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18eym75 ... sp=sharing

My song references are from artists like Blake Mills, Grizzly Bear, or the wonderful sounding record of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, so overall I think the sound of the mix is kinda "folkie" but modern and full range.

I used all the clean tracks then added FX to taste.

I used 4 different Aux reverb and 2 delays. All tracks have some of that.

I also automated some volumes and sends.

DRUMS:

Kick: Tamed the "click" around 5k, The kick is now like a low pulse that fits the song better (like the song provider suggested).

I missed a little sustain from all tracks so I added a specific reverb with "natural sound" to the bus, Also added a TAPE emulation at slow speed for taming the highs.

The hihat included has been giving me a lot of trouble, I removed the 4k resonance.
NOTE: Are there another drum tracks on the "Original Mix"? Sounds quite different to me (mostly the hi hats).

In the drum bus I added a punchy compressor giving the snare more attack. (kiive audio ADC)

BASS GUITAR: Sounded too artificial to me, so I added a low pass filter at 3k, then added back harmonics with tape saturation.

WURTLITZER::Tube Distortion, compression and lush reverb, panned 50% to the left

ACOUSTIC GUITARS: Hard panned and upward compression, they lacked sustain and "naturallity" so I send them to a room reverb also. Also bit of a low-mid bump.

ELECTRIC GUITAR: Used a "Tremolo Twang" effect with some adjustments here and there, a 800hz boost and a short delay send.

ELECTRIC GUITAR SOLO: A little more agressive sounding than the first, more upfront, with the same short delay send.

CELLOS, STRINGS, AND TRUMPETS: oo artificial for the sound I was looking for, tamed, tube saturation, and hard panned (Cellos and trumpets), sent to a lush reverb.

MAIN VOCALS: tamed a 2.5 resonance with dinamic eq, compressed, tube saturation, etc..added a beautiful Plate Reverb (EMT 140)

Choir: compressed and heavy de-essed, send it to a room reverb for distance.

MIXBUS: Saturation, Eq, a little compression (UNISUM) and a bit of limiting.

More o Less, that's all.

I hope you like the mix, Good luck and once again sorry for the bad english.
Last edited by PauPeu on Fri Apr 05, 2024 18:10 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

@TSTstudio Hello! I've got to ask you: Your transformation of the snare drum: I'm not fully convinced it's possible to make a snare drum being hit with a brush sound more like if it was hit with a stick. But maybe it is? I have no idea what kind of plugin Rough Ride is, for example. So please just confirm that you didn't replace the brush kit snare with another sampled snare drum. I apologize for being suspicious.
TSTstudio

Post by TSTstudio »

Hi sorry my english is not the best, but yes I use a trigger to get the sound I wanted on the snare, I could not do that?
I will change it back to brusches and reupload it
LCM!

Post by LCM! »

@A Future in Noise
Hello and, first of all, thank you for letting us work on your tracks.
About references: am I wrong or does your song have some Belle and Sebastian and Camera Obscura vibes?
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

LCM! wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:08 CEST
About references: am I wrong or does your song have some Belle and Sebastian and Camera Obscura vibes?
To be honest I've never heard of those bands, until now. But sure - Belle and Sebastian uses e-piano, accoustic guitar and I think I even heard a brush kit, somewhere. To what extent I've been (or could have been) influenced by Camera Obscura I do not know.